Please do NOT include identifying information anywhere in the manuscript, as all readings will be blind.
Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but only one submission per author. Please notify Wordrunner eChapbooks if your work is accepted elsewhere. We prefer that you withdraw the submission from your Submittable account.
Authors will receive payment. $100 for each fiction collection. Annual anthology: $5 for poems, $15 to $25 for stories and essays.
Wordrunner eChapbooks is primarily an online publication. Our one-author collections are also published as Kindles and on Smashwords.
Two fiction collections will be selected for our 2019 e-chapbook series, to be published in August and December, online and in epubs. Payment: $100 plus epub (Kindle and Smashwords) royalties. In addition, some authors may receive Honorable Mentions and have a story from their collection considered for publication in our 2020 annual anthology.
Stories may be flash or longer, from 500 up to 6,000 words* each, totaling a minimum of approximately 8,000 and a maximum of 30,000 words for the collection. We would like a minimum of five stories, but no more than 15 (if flash fiction). They need not be linked, but it would be a plus if they belong together for some reason, be it theme, location or character/s. We will also consider novel excerpts.
- *Quality trumps word count.
- Submit your best work only. Each story should be original and compelling. No genre fiction, please, unless a story is good enough to transcend genre. What we are looking for in fiction is subtle emotional complexity.
- At least one-fourth of any collection should be previously unpublished. In the cover letter, indicate which, if any pieces, were previously published and where.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but only one submission per author. Please notify Wordrunner eChapbooks if your collection, or any part of it, is accepted elsewhere.
- Submit ONE FILE (Word doc or docx, RTF, ODT or WordPerfect), which includes a title for the collection and a list of contents, followed by the stories.
- Please do NOT include identifying information anywhere in the manuscript, as the readings will be blind.
- OPTIONAL: In your cover letter, please let us know how you found out about this call (e.g., from Writers & Poets, Duotrope, newpages.com, CRWROPPS, Submishmash Weekly, Facebook, or any other source.) THANK YOU!